Sunday, September 07, 2008

Dan In Real Life

SHR liked this more than I did but she's more of a sucker for big family ensemble pieces than I am. She dubbed this 2007's Family Stone. I mean, this kept my attention and all. And Steve Carell was good. And I really liked the Sondre Lerche score - much better than Badly Drawn Boy's songs in About a Boy.

But I didn't buy that there was any chemistry between Carell and Binoche in the slightest. And Dane Cook is such a doofus. I can't believe I had to be subjected to listening to not one, but two songs sung by him. And it just wasn't as nearly as funny or as quirky as it wanted to be.

Directed by Peter Hedges
2007
Starz

2 comments:

youthlarge said...

I appreciate your choice of movie poster image. Somehow the title got translated into "Dan in Love."

msdee said...

I agree with a lot of your review. There was no chemistry between the two main characters and Dane cook should finally admit he isn't a comic. He should stick to drama (Mr. Brooks. I don't know why but lately Dane Cook just skeeves me out.

I liked the movie just because I enjoy Steve Carell in anything.

Fave line in the movie, "You are a murderer of love"

Most annoying scene, when his mother insited on doing the wash when it was time for bed...and the shower scene.