Monday, July 28, 2008

The Dark Knight

I wasn't a huge Batman Begins fan. I didn't like the Scarecrow. I didn't like the way the fight scenes were filmed. I didn't like Christian Bale's Batman voice. I was a bit bored by all of the setup.

I was excited to see this one because of the no setup aspect, the no Katie Holmes aspect, the no Scarecrow aspect, and glowing reviews.

Pluses (with a nod to MAS)
- Maggie Gyllenhaal was so much better than Holmes.
- I really liked the first scene in the bank.
- Heath Ledger was good. Loved the scene with him blowing up the hospital wearing a nurse's uniform.
- I liked the story for the most part.
- The BatCycle was awesome.
-I was genuinely surprised by a couple of the plot points.

Minuses:
- Bale's Batman voice still makes me cringe.
- Getting hit over the head time and time again with the political stuff. In retrospect, I like Iron Man a lot more on this front.
- The two and a half hours felt like at least three plus hours.
- The big action scene with the glowing Batman eyes was blah.

Overall, I liked this enough. I don't know. Maybe I'm just not a comic book guy at heart.

Directed by Christopher Nolan
2008
Loews 34th St.

8 comments:

Gamera said...

I was enthralled by this film and literally thought there was another hour more to come when the credits rolled because the 2 1/2 hours flew by for me. I thought the pacing and action sequences were much better than the batman begins and i didn't feel like your minuses were minuses at all. i like small, independent films and endless, pointless talkfests but when i see a movie like this where the movie spectacle is done so right (as in the lord of the rings trilogy) i find myself in awe and enjoying them more than anything else. it's such a fun crowd experience too, especially the joker's magic trick scene.

Listmaker said...

i only like endless, pointless talk fests. especially if they are from iran.

i guess my point is that the spectacle just wasn't done quite right enough for me to completely fawn all over it.

chris nolan is no peter jackson.

mas said...

I don't understand the exaggerated Batman voice either, which sort of sounds like it includes an intentional lisp for some reason.

I agree with many of your points but would add Michael Caine to the plus column.

Listmaker said...

yeah, caine was great as well. but that goes without saying. i like bale as bruce wayne when he talks normally.

Gamera said...

The voice is all part of disguise. Batman spits hot fire.

Chris Larry said...

You are def not a comic book guy.....

I liked it, alot. Didnt love.

My positives to add:

- I liked the acting. I liked lots of recognizable character actors.

- Anthony M. Hall baby!!!

- VT Senator Patrick Laheay cameo

- Gary Oldman's Comish Gordon.

- The second half of the movie

- Two villans, which I hate, worked

- Watchmen trailer!!!

Some negs

- gotta agree on the batman voice

- the black gangsters were way stock

- Parts of first half dragged

Maggie G (while obvie a step up from Holmes) was mad annoying...was actually glad when she died

mas said...

Forgot about Anthony Michael Hall - almost as good as his part in "Edward Scissorhands!"

movie buff said...

i still wish Katie Holmes had stayed on board as Rachel Dawes for the Dark Knight; it was like the time spent getting familiar with her character in Batman Begins was wasted...