Monday, June 02, 2008

Transformers

I liked the first hour in a campy way. The last 90 minutes grew tedious even though there were still a few highlights.

Maybe it was because I didn't really get into Transformers as a kid but I just couldn't get into the silliness of it all by the end. I assume that if I had watched it as a kid that I would have gotten nostalgic goosebumps every time that Autobots attack or whatever the line was.

A few thoughts:

- Digital effects are much better when people aren't in it. When it is just robots or cars or whatever, it looks better.

- That scene with Shia LaBeouf's mom talking about masturbation with him was pretty funny

- If the fate of the world depends on the Transformers, couldn't poor Shia simply have told his parents about the Transformers rather than hiding them? Yes, it was a funny scene but completely pointless.

- The soundtrack was funny. In the first hour or so, there were many appropriate songs played to set the scene like the Cars' Drive when Shia and his lady friend are driving. Oh, that Bumblebee sure knows how to set the mood! There were also plenty of John Carpenter sounding jamz as well over the course of the film. I liked that.

- John Turturro?

Directed by Michael Bay
2007
Cinemax

2 comments:

msdee said...

John Turturro was a shock for me as well.
I loved this movie!
I love Shia!

I saw it twice once here and once in Puerto Rico with mom. She loved it too. I said, "Mom isn't it a lot like the cartoon?"
She answered, "There's a cartoon?"

I assumed everyone watched Transformers but I guess not everyone did.

Weekday afternoons in my house was filled with Transformers, Thundercats and He-Man.

He-Man has been made a movie. It sucked, Transformers was made into one too.
I guess we just sit back and wait for Thundercats

Jim said...

John Turturro was the only thing I didn't like about the movie.

Bumblebee rulz.