I had such low expectations for this yet I remained cautiously hopeful. While this isn't the worst thing ever made I can't quite say that it is good. At least it is much much better than The Phantom Menace. Jeremy hated it though. He sent me this e-mail the other day about it that simply stated, "The crystal skull sucked big time. Quite embarassing at times and about as magical as a game of 3 card monte. Boo."
- Harrison Ford looked great.
- A few funny parts - the snake bit in the mud and the snatching the hat away from Shia LaBeouf at the end.
- Cate Blanchett looked scrumptious.
- The Twilight Zoneish nuclear bomb scene.
- It looked good for the most part.
- The interplay between Ford and Karen Allen was somewhat fun.
- Harrison Ford seemed bored beyond belief.
- Flat, flat, flat
- The Shia scene flying through the trees tied the chipmunk scene as the most embarrassing moments of the movie.
- The action scenes were often quite dull and didn't really tie into the story that well. Or maybe I had just tuned out the plot halfway through.
- The digital effects looked stupid. Back in '81, Spielberg would have tried to film that sword fight on jeeps scene for real. Not in '08. It looked awful shot digitally. If Raiders of the Lost Ark were made now, I bet that the Indy underneath the truck scene would have been shot digitally and looked like crap.
- Where was the magic? The whole thing seemed very perfunctory and dull.
- The interplay between Ford and LaBeouf was lame. Jones needs a women to flirt with not an annoying LaBeouf to spar with. At least give me Short Round.
- For such a big movie, this didn't feel big. The other three films had such a large scale to them. This one seemed to be simply Blanchett and a few soldiers tracking down our heroes time and time again like an episode of Scooby Doo.
So obviously, I wasn't that impressed with the movie. But I'll take what I can get. Maybe the next one will be better? I'd like to see the next one set in the jungles of Viet Nam with a 71-year-old Dr. Jones.
February at School
1 day ago