Monday, May 05, 2008

Paranoid Park

I love that Gus Van Sant has taken all of his Good Will Hunting and Finding Forrester cash and poured it into interesting films. While I didn't particularly like Last Days or love Elephant as much as everyone else did, I much prefer the idea behind those films than the mainstream Robin Williams bullshit of the Van Sant of yesteryear.

I really liked this film. I want to see it again. I was a bit confused by the non-chronological story structure at first. Afterwards, the puzzle pieces fit together nicely for me. This film is a wonderful mix of avant-garde and conventional storytelling structure with excellent acting performances.

It also had a bit of a River's Edge feel to it - a tale of secrets and disaffected youth with a shocking moment that jolts you out of your reverie. See this movie.

Directed by Gus Van Sant
2008
BAM

1 comment:

youthlarge said...

ha, i don't think we could disagree more.