Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Contempt

I watched this on Bravo back during the year I lived with my parents before I moved to New York. For a number of months, I think I watched a movie a day. I didn't have much else to do.

I loved this back then and was blown away by how amazing it looked on the small screen. Obviously, it looks even better on the big screen. In fact, every single image is perfect. Over the years, I'd only remembered the many brilliant moments and had sort of forgotten some of the other moments. I did like this upon re-watching it but I do think that I might have overinflated how great I thought the movie was over the last twelve years.

Still, I'm glad I saw it again. The tone of the film is great. Godard knew he was the shit and wanted to show that to everyone. Snotty, brilliant, arrogant, all of Godard's foibles are encapsulated in this film. Jack Palance is awesome. Fritz Lang is hilarious. And nothing gets more perfect than Brigitte Bardot's ass which is more than heavily featured in this film. A true work of art. As I said, every single image is perfect.

Directed by Jean-Luc Godard
1963
Film Forum

1 comment:

Jimbama said...

It amazes me that he managed to keep a 30 minute argument in the middle of this film. So unsettling, especially with that same music playing over and over...