Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Seven Chances

Back in the summer of 1993, a guy I worked with a guy at a summer camp who introduced me to Buster Keaton. He lent me a videotape that had this movie on it. So I've always had a soft spot for this movie that introduced me to the world of silent films.

I hadn't seen it since that summer but I thought it would be a good choice to show my class. It was.

While the first half is a bit slow, the second half keeps getting crazier and crazier and the finale has to be one of the best of any silent film.

The premise of the film is that Keaton has to get married by 7 pm of his 27th birthday (which just so happens to be today!!) to inherit 7 million dollars. Once the women in the town figure this out, they all want a piece of Buster. But he just wants to find his way back to his true love by 7 pm in one piece.

I'm cracking up just thinking about the chase scene that showcases Buster being chased by hundreds of women through the streets, across creeks and falling trees, down a mountain as he dodges dozens of huge boulders.

I've had a request from one student to show the class The General next. I think I can do that at some point! Girl Who Loves Sparkly Clothes But Hates Hillary Clinton said she thought that Keaton looked like Hugh Grant. What?

Did anybody see the remake of this - 1999's The Bachelor? How bad was it?

Directed by Buster Keaton
1925
DVD

1 comment:

mas said...

Sounds a little like "Brewster's Millions." Love the scene where Richard Pryor and John Candy play catch indoors.