Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

My least favorite of the Judd Apatow productions in 2007 but when stacked up against Superbad and Knocked Up, that doesn't mean that I didn't like this movie. I did like it. But like the music biopics, it is aping, it kind of drags at times. And I hate to be a hater but I'm just not sure that John C. Reilly was the right choice for the role if only because he seemed to be trying way too hard to play the role in the way that Will Ferrell would have played it. I don't know. I do like Reilly so maybe my opinion on that will soften if I see this again.

There are really great moments in the movie. In fact, I laughed as hard at some of the moments in this film as I ever have in a movie. The songs are really good. The scene with the Beatles is hilarious. The Bob Dylan-like scene is better than any moment in I'm Not There. The complete lack of subtle dialogue cracked me up. But the father appearing over and over again saying the same thing got old. Yes, they do that in Ray and Walk the Line, but sometimes making fun of an obviously dumb plot device over and over again doesn't necessarily make comedy gold.

I guess I was hoping that this would be the Airplane of rock star biopics, instead I think I got Top Secret. That was a pretty good movie, right? If not, I've undersold this movie but I'm not quite sure I can bring this up to Naked Gun territory but maybe ...

Directed by Jake Kasdan
2007
Battery Park

4 comments:

crispin said...

I saw Top Secret recently for the first time and let me assure you it is a wonderful film. Maybe not a masterwork but pretty damn close.

Chris Larry said...

People generally love Top Secret, so you may be over complimenting it...

Seein this soon hopefully...what theatre can you still see it in...email me...

Also was this directed by Larry Kasdan's kid? b/c if so you review 2 famous director son movies...but if not...oh well..

Listmaker said...

yes, you are right - 2 of my last 3 reviews are director's sons kids. didn't even notice that.

looks like it is still playing at the pavilion and court st.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/walk-hard-the-dewey-cox-story/27117/main

Chris Larry said...

saw it, loved it.....