Thursday, November 01, 2007

Raise the Red Lantern

For some reason, I thought I had seen this movie years ago. It turns out that I hadn't. I was getting it confused with Farewell My Concubine. This one was a lot better. A lot better.

I remember being somewhat bored with Farewell My Concubine but this film completely captivated me. I can't believe it took my so long to actually see it. This is the kind of movie where the word masterpiece is not hyperbole. Every frame, every line spoken, everything. Everything about this movie is perfect.

It is about the fourth wife of a 1920's nobleman and the politics played between her and the other wives. She is an educated woman but her mother has persuaded her that getting married makes sense for her family. It is interesting enough through the first half when the jockeying between the women is the main focus of the film. As the story develops, the drama and tension escalate and the movie keeps getting better and better. I can't believe how great this movie is and don't even want to ruin it even more by writing dumb stuff about it. Just see it.

Directed by Zhang Yimou
1991
HD Net Movies

2 comments:

lachimafilms.com said...

i haven't seen this in years but i do remember loving it... gonna have to watch it again.

planbreaker said...

What a fantastic film. The first time I saw it was in good old Grafton-Stovall. I'm surprised you weren't there.