Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Clueless

I've heard how good this movie is for years. For years! From everyone. What kind of a moviegoer am I to have never seen a classic film like this?

I was excited to see it pop up on cable. Now that I have HD, I'm willing to watch some of these movies that I've avoided for years on cable. SHR watched it with me and enjoyed it as much as ever.

But I just didn't get it. It was pretty annoying. I really didn't know what to expect but I wasn't expecting this. It was okay, I guess. It wasn't bad. But this is the movie that everyone speaks so highly of? Don't get me wrong. Alicia Silverstone is superbly dumb. Paul Rudd is as charming as ever, if not more so. And Dan Hedaya was hilarious. But why do people love this movie so much? Someone please explain it to me.

Directed by Amy Heckerling
1995
HBO

3 comments:

crispin said...

Some movies you miss out on the time and can never catch up to. For me it's The Jerk, The Blues Brothers and The Graduate. Never saw them early on, never got that early obsession with them and can't develop one now. All underwhelming. I also think Clueless is one of those movies some people have seen over and over again and there's no questions about the quality of it because it's as comfy and familiar as their bed. It's beyond objectivity at this point. Some people have this with Reality Bites or Napoleon Dynamite. For me it's Clue and Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

msdee said...

I agree it's a classic if you got all caught up in it the first time

I think it's alright but Mean girls is much better

Listmaker said...

crispin,
pee wee IS a classic.

debbie,
i agree, i liked mean girls a lot more.