Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Towering Inferno

I was supposed to love this movie, right? Paul Newman! Steve McQueen! Amazing interior decorating!

I didn't love it though. It was okay I guess. I'm sure I would have liked it back in '74 or if I had seen it when I was 12. But, man, was it slow. It took me many sittings to get through the 2 hours and 45 minutes. And the fact that it won Best Picture proves even more that the Academy isn't just stupid now, it has always been stupid.

Newman and McQueen were great though as were all of the actors - Fred Astaire, Dabney Coleman, Fay Dunaway, Robert Vaughn, Richard Chamberlain. Even O.J. Simpson was fun to see. And some of the scenes of the escape attempts were interesting to watch. But it was just so so so damn long.

Directed by Irwin Allen and John Guillermin
1974
HD Net Movies

1 comment:

msdee said...

I was eleven when my dad took me to see this movie. I was so scared. What a wuss.
Irwin Allen was big in the seventies and I was into Irwin allen disaster movies so much so that I noticed a big mistake In The Towering Inferno a woman falls into the fire donned in nothing but a pink shirt and panty hose, In the Poseidon Adventure a wommen wearing a pink shirt and pantyhose falls into the flames. Both women same body type and haircut and haircolor.

I think Mr. Allen was upset with one of his blonde ex girlfriends who stole his pink shirt