Monday, August 27, 2007

Superbad

I loved this movie. I can't stop thinking about it. I can't believe that this might even be my favorite of the three Judd Apatow/Seth Rogen comedies of the past few years. I mean, it is so damn silly. Rogen and Evan Goldberg supposedly wrote this script when they were 13-years-old. After seeing the film, I can believe that. But who cares when the 13-year-olds in question are fucking geniuses?

The characters are all hilarious. I rarely go to a movie that makes me laugh as loudly as I did during this movie. Michael Cera is a comic genius. A genius!

Like all of the Apatow movies, there's a whole lot of vulgarity tempered with tons of sweetness. I've got to wonder how many more times he can keep going back to the same well before it dries up? But those questions can wait for another day when he keeps churning out such brilliance.

Granted, Apatow is merely a producer of this film but his imprint is all over it. The sleep over scene reminded me of the geeks sleepover from Freaks and Geeks. The party scene with the adults in this film reminded me of the episode from Freaks and Geeks when Daniel invites the drunk adults and they cause problems at the Weir party. I think the highest compliment I can say about this movie is that I think that Bill, Sam, and Neal would rank this movie right alongside Stripes and The Jerk. I want to see this movie again right now. I will gladly choose to see McLovin shirts on today's youth for the next 18 months over that dumb Vote For Pedro fad. Bring it on.

This was Greg Mottola's first film since 1996's The Daytrippers, another movie that I loved.

My only complaint about my movie going experience is that the dumbasses in Rockville had the brightness setting way too low for the film. It was really dark the entire time. I should have said something but then I would miss some of the brilliance. Oh well, it just gives me yet another excuse to see this movie again soon.

Directed by Greg Mottola
2007
Rockville 13

2 comments:

Chris Larry said...

It was amazing...loved every second....

I loved that the daytrippers directer directed it!!!!! I guess with this payday it wont be 10 years between films this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My take on the movie and yours..."Samsies"

youthlarge said...

only one use of "damn" in this review. since all you want to do is talk about all its plot points an funniest scenes, i suppose i should finally go see it.