Monday, August 06, 2007

The Host

Like a cross between Godzilla, Alien, and Silence of the Lambs with a whole lot of silly times thrown in and you can begin to picture this movie. It wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it was going to be but I still enjoyed it. I'm kind of sick of the predictable American blockbuster movies so it's fun to see another culture's take on the big budget spectacle.

Jim mentioned how this was a metaphor for American military involvement in South Korea. I knew that the Americans were ridiculed at every turn in this movie (except for one brave soul who dies trying to help out near the beginning) but I was too caught up in the monster story to really think about it in those terms. I did think it was funny though that American arrogance is what led to the creation of the monster in the first place. And oh yeah, I guess South Korea is the host as the U.S. sucks the life out of them. And the fact that mass hysteria is created by a non-existent virus propagated by the Americans when the real enemy is the monster but no one seems to be terribly bothered by that fact for most of the movie. Hmmmm ... I guess I did catch on to the main point after all.

The DVD features a great extra of the director apologizing to various groups of people including people who had their leisure time disrupted because the crew was in their way during filming. I think that his apologies are completely sincere. I love Koreans.

Directed by Bong Joon-ho
2006, Year of U.S. Release: 2007
DVD

3 comments:

youthlarge said...

i still think i would have been scared by this.

msdee said...

I loved this movie! I didnt read as much into it as you did. I loved the dad in this movie and the whole family stickin together thing. I give the americans about a year before they try to remake it.
The scene when the monster first appears on the boardwalk was very "Jaws" like. The Dad had a very "sheriff brody"look

suhaimi said...

i have afew things to say about this movie..
1.it is the most boring movie i ever seen. it take 2 days 4 me to finish the movie(becaouse of sickness and boreness)
2.i have to meke my self stupid and lower my iq so that i can see this movie