Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ratatouille

I had an easier time getting over just exactly how disgusting the premise of this film is than SHR did and because of that I think I liked it more than she did. I hadn't seen a Pixar film since the last Brad Bird one, The Incredibles. I liked that one fine enough I guess but I liked this one a lot more. What's not to like about an underdog rat hiding under a hapless teenager's hat and helping him make food in a snooty French restaurant while everyone else he knows tell him he should be happy with garbage? Brilliant concept. Great execution. Like all good kid movies, this one was clever without pandering.

The animation looked even better than any of the other Pixar movies. SHR has complained in the past that humans look awful in these movies. But in this one, they looked pretty good.

The scene where the snobby food critic is immediately transported to memories of his youth upon eating was brilliant and my favorite moment of the film.

For a four-year-old's take on the film, read here.

Directed by Brad Bird
2007
Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas, Austin

1 comment:

Chris Larry said...

I liked this film a lot. Garafallo was good I thought. I agree about your favorite scene, that was great.

BUT....Finding Nemo was better Pixtar animation.