Monday, June 04, 2007

Knocked Up

Fresh from seeing Roky Erikson outdoors, SHR, Mooney, Paul and I headed to a 10:45 showing of Knocked Up. I never go to movies this late anymore and I was worried that it would mess with my enjoyment of the film. It might have because I was a little bit tired by the end, but no matter, I really liked it anyway.

Apatow is on a roll. I can't believe how many movies he has in the pipeline. Is this really the same guy that couldn't get a TV show to its second season? Everything he touches turns to gold these days.

What's not to like about this movie? It has amazing one-liners but it also has many great scenes that are built on the awkward. Apatow is the king of awkward moments that don't make you feel too icky. Unlike another Freaks and Geeks alum Mike White who is the king of awkward moments that make you feel too icky, Apatow strikes just the right balance. The characters aren't as developed as I'd like them to be and some of the scenes feel forced but these are small complaints. Basically, nothing will ever touch Freaks and Geeks in its mix of character development, comedy, and pathos. But why am I comparing an 18 episode show to a 2 hour movie anyway?

There are some amazingly real moments in this film that come out of nowhere and they are that much more searing because of it. The 40-Year-Old Virgin might have been more of a straight up comedy but I like this film more. I loved Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann's interaction. I loved Apatow and Mann's kids as actresses. I loved all the scenes with Rogen (am I silly for watching him get interviewed on both Letterman and Conan last week?) and the Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared posse. I loved the E Channel bits. This movie is damn good.

And, of course, how could I not like the fantasy baseball scene?

By the way, Letterman's interview was atrocious, Conan's was good, and Leno's is on tonight.

Directed by Judd Apatow
2007
Battery Park Cinemas

1 comment:

youthlarge said...

i liked this a lot, but as i mentioned to JW Flood the other day, there's no way these dumb-dumbs would, to quote Hot Tub Eric, "get tail." the only believable situation was for Martin Starr's character - his girlfriend was so weird and i loved it. it made sense. but that little curly haired round boy (not seth rogan, who's the bigger curly haired boy)? i don't think so.

apatow's kids were fantastic, esp. the younger one.