Thursday, June 14, 2007

Brand Upon the Brain

This film was more of a spectacle than anything else. Guy Madden continues to make interesting cinema. His obsession with silent cinema flirted with in all of his films including his most well known, The Saddest Music in the World, could only lead to one thing - a real true to life silent film.

Jim and I went to go see this at the Village East and I'm glad that I did. On the night that Jim and I saw it, Crispin Glover was the narrator. There was an orchestra and live sound effects. I found myself watching the effects being created and Glover a lot and the whole thing added to the experience while at the same somewhat distracting me from the movie itself.

The movie itself is probably my least favorite of the ones I've seen. It isn't bad or anything. It just doesn't make any sense at all. I had a difficult time following it but no matter. But then again plot isn't why I go see Guy Madden films. I go to see them because they are unlike any other films I've ever seen and this film definitely follows that trend. The movie has something to do with a mysterious head wounds on kids. Brand upon the brain!

Supposedly this is semi-autobiographical. Maybe this film would have made more sense to me if I hadn't been so distracted by the creation of the sound around me. I'm curious to see the theatrical release with Isabella Rosellini as the narrator.

Directed by Guy Madden
2007
Village East

2 comments:

crispin said...

Horribly jealous!

Jim said...

I understood what was going on relatively well. As much as we were supposed to understand, I mean, considering Maddin's nonlinear style of storytelling. I can explain to you what the head wounds were about if you want, but I don't want to post it on here and give it away for other people. The effects and narration definitely distracted me too--sounds like that was a big factor in your confusion.