Thursday, May 03, 2007

Year of the Dog

I really like the Mike White comedies (School of Rock, Chuck and Buck). His dramas (The Good Girl) and this one don't quite do it for me. Then again Orange County isn't that great and I can't imagine Nacho Libre is any good so maybe it isn't simply a comedy vs. drama split. And I don't actively dislike this film or anything.

But man, was this movie a downer. I mean, I don't mind depressing films but this one was super depressing. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was because it was tough to watch immediately after bowing out early yet once again in my bocce league. I guess that isn't White's fault. I probably would have been better off seeing a movie like Hot Fuzz instead. But I liked Chuck and Buck because of how funny the depressing and awkward moments were. This film just depressed me.

As Mitch pointed out, every single character in this movie seemed to be acting in their own movie - there was no cohesion. I actually think that was intentional though - to hit home just how lonely everyone is. I don't know. I just know that this movie was painful to watch. But again, maybe it was just a painful bocce loss.

Directed by Mike White
2007
Cobble Hill Cinemas

2 comments:

Listmaker said...

just listened to a mike white interview with elvis mitchell. i think i've been convinced that i like this movie. maybe i should see it again but this time after a bocce victory.

Listmaker said...

i'm just going to keep leaving comments all year on this post.

i just saw a preview for the dvd and decided that this was a really good movie. again, i blame the bocce defeat.