Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Black Book

From what I had read, this film was going to be completely over the top. I was excited for that. I loved Starship Troopers and was hoping that this would be like that but set during the Holocaust. Unfortunately, it wasn't as crazy as I was hoping.

That doesn't mean that I didn't like the film. I did. It was quite entertaining. It is a standard sort of Hollywoody type action flick but with more nudity and at least one complete gross out scene (think Carrie and what was dumped on her at the Prom but yet much more foul) that sets it apart. I liked all the performances and really liked the S.S. guy who played the good guy in The Lives of Others. And there's plenty of shoot-em-up good times action to please everybody.

The film is supposedly based on true events of a Jewish woman who fell in love with an S.S. officer during the last days of the war. There's the resistance, there's the evil German officers, there's a party for Hitler's birthday, good times, good times.

There were many moments in this film that reminded me of the Indiana Jones Nazi stuff in Raiders of the Lost Ark, as well as The Great Escape. So I guess I don't have that many complaints about this film other than I wanted complete and utter craziness and instead I got a fairly serious drama.

Directed by Paul Verhoeven
2006, U.S. Release: 2007
BAM

1 comment:

crispin said...

As Stephen Malkmus once said, "Don't expect."