Wednesday, March 28, 2007

13 Tzameti

This was one of those films last spring that I kind of wanted to see but because of my vow to see fewer films in the theater, I decided to skip. While some I've regretted not seeing in the theater (Death of Mr. Lazarescu, The Child), most of the movies I've seen on DVD have been just fine watching on the small screen.

This would be a good example. Maybe if I had seen it in the theaters, I would have liked it more. But watching it at home was more than good enough for me. I just didn't like it all that much. Yes, it looked fantastic. Yes, the premise was an interesting one but it was a one trick pony.

The film is about a twenty-year-old who stumbles onto this "game" to make a lot of money. The game involves 13 men (too bad because the one in Istanbul, we are told, had 42 people, perhaps they'll make a prequel) putting guns to each other's heads and pulling the trigger. The first round = 1 bullet in the chamber. The second round = 2 bullets and so on. Then there is a duel and the winner is crowned and the loser is dead. The entire time, there are a bunch of bad richies betting on which of the lower class contestants will pull out the victory .

I liked it fine enough but I really did not care about any of the characters. It was all very artsy but for a movie that has round after round of the main character having a loaded gun put to his head was utterly lacking in real suspense.

Directed by Géla Babluani
2005, U.S. Release: 2006
DVD

1 comment:

mas said...

I completely agree with you. I think it would have been better as a one-hour short.

For me, the worst part was that having seen the trailer at Film Forum beforehand, I knew what the "game" would be and as a result, much of the suspense of the first twenty minutes or so was gone.