Sunday, February 11, 2007

Running With Scissors

I should have known better. This got really bad reviews. But I liked the book so much that I decided to give it a shot. I shouldn't have. This movie is really not very good. It isn't terrible or anything. It is just kind of boring. As SHR said, "The book had interesting, quirky characters. They euthanized them for the movie."

It is one of those movies that plays just the right song for the era it is trying to portray. Blinded by the Light? Check. Benny and the Jets? Check. Slow motion? Check. A 20-year-old actor playing a 13-year-old? Check.

After about 30 minutes, I made sure to be on the computer or reading the paper while watching this movie and I was still bored. And who the hell is Ryan Murphy? He wrote the script and directed the film. In the hands of a talented writer and director like Noah Baumbach, this movie might have been good. If you are even thinking of seeing this film, read the book instead and thank me later.

Bryan Cox was really good though.

Directed by Ryan Murphy
2006
DVD

1 comment:

msdee said...

I just saw most of Running With Scissors. I was bored and actually didnt finish watching it. Why was Gwyneth Paltrow in this movie? My favorite character was the Dr's wife and it's always good to hear B-B-B-Benny and the Jets:)Those were the plusses and I feel that Annette bening has played this type of character before