Sunday, January 14, 2007

Why We Fight

First of all, who knew that Starz Cinema letterboxes a lot of their movies and plays art films? I didn't until the other day. Welcome to my periphery, Starz Cinema.

Second of all, who would have thought that Dwight Eisenhower would be so highly touted by a left-wing Muckraker?

Third of all, I was a little disappointed that there were no John Wesley Harding songs in the movie.

Fourth of all, how did Jarecki get John McCain to say some of the stuff that he did? He basically is calling for Dick Cheney's shady dealings to be investigated. Nice. As soon as he said it though, he seemed to have regretted saying it and ended the interview.

This movie is pretty good. It is one of those films though that you know that the filmmaker had his thesis before starting the movie and damn made sure that he had the right interviews in place to prove his point. Not that there is anything wrong with that as long as you know what you are getting yourself into. But this is definitely a preaching to the converted kind of movie.

I'm curious to see Jareki's other documentary The Trials of Henry Kissinger.

Director: Eugene Jareki
2006
Starz Cinema

4 comments:

mas said...

I think McCain may have been more willing to talk frankly at the time this movie was filmed than he would be now. It was released in 2006, but it premiered at Sundance in January 2005, meaning that he was interviewed in late 2004 at the earliest.

Chris Larry said...

I bet I would dig this movie, but I am the converted...i read some reviews of the time of the release that were like, "tell me something I dont know" and "to simplistic" Plus if you have seen Oliver Stone's JFK you already know the Eisenhower bit..

Instead I suggest reading Frank Rich's new book "The Greatest Story Ever Sold: From 9/11 to Katrina"

Frank Rich is the bomb!

Lover Larry

Listmaker said...

mitch,

good point. i don't know. i do know that mccain does come out against bush sometimes but it was very interesting to watch him stop himself short and cut off the interview. what a weenie.

chris,
it is definitely what you would think but it was good enough. i'm completely digging frank rich these days. i feel like ever since he's moved to the week in review from the arts section, his stuff has gotten so much stronger. he's freed from having to make crazy leaps from pop culture to politics and his writing is the better for it.

Chris Larry said...

I am almost done with the book, I will lend it to you. He does pepper in pop culture refrences...but I agree when its not in the A&L section its not as obvious...