Sunday, January 28, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

This movie is breathtakingly scary and intense at times. It seamlessly skips back and forth between the evil that men do and the crazy shit that fauns ask little girls to do. The scene with the monster awoken by the eating of a grape is one of the best of the year.

The film has many thrilling moments. I liked it a lot better than del Toro's The Devil's Backbone which also was set amidst the Spanish Civil War. However after seeing this film, I kind of want go back and give The Devil's Backbone another chance.

I also loved the sound in this film. Nothing says evil quite as well as the sound of leather gloves and leather boots worn by a madman.

I saw this film almost a month ago now. I still think about it often. At first, this was another one of those films that all the accolades it received built up unreal expectations for me. A month ago, I didn't think that this was one of the year's best films. However, a month removed from all the hype, I've realized that this is indeed one of the year's best.

I just listened to a Guillermo del Toro interview with Elvis Mitchell a few days ago. Just listening to him explain his thoughts on the movie the theme of fighting facism convinced me even more how much I did like this film.

Directed by Guillermo del Toro
2006
The Sunshine

4 comments:

Chris Larry said...

Saw it saturday....loved it....was truly a great film....gothic fascist fairy tale...

Would have liked more fantasy scenes but thats just me....

F the "Dreamgirls" controversy this should have been up for best picture...i will be rooting hard for the Noms it did get...also the lead bad guy was amazing....

lachimafilms.com said...

Really enjoyed this one. And the more I hear Del Toro talk/interviewed i love him more... The onion had a great interview with him a few weeks ago.

Ms Dee said...

I have been wanting to see this one the clips I've seen are beautiful!

msdee said...

Well I finally saw Pan's Labrynth...What can I say? I loved every minute of it. Well the torture scenes were a bit much but I was glued to the screen and found myself desperately waiting for the faun to appear.
The eyeless monster freaked me out!
There was a lot of blood but I wanted to see the captain get his just desserts so I tried to keep my eyes open during the war scenes.
I wanted to adopt Ofelia!
I wanted to warn mercedes.
It was great!!!