Monday, January 01, 2007

Horns and Halos

This was a pretty interesting little documentary. What started as a seemingly simple case of the powers that be squashing a book about George Bush turned out to be much more than that.

Instead the film's focus was on the quite troubled writer and the quite pleased to be himself publisher. The publisher, Sander Hicks, went to JMU around the same time that I did. I've never met him, but for his sake, I hope he isn't quite the egomaniac that he seems to be in the movie.

I don't really want to get into the ending of the film for those who haven't seen it. But let me just say that the moment when Hicks breaks down at the end of the film, it is one of the more memorable moments of any movie I've seen all year.

Directed by Michael Galinsky and Suki Hawley
2002
DVD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Galinsky was in Sleepyhead right? I loved this movie...its everything a documentary should be...

Sander Hicks is an interesting dude, not always for the right reasons....he has a coffe shop now and was named on a Park Slope blog as one of the 100 most important people in Park Slope (Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn)

By the waqy how bad was Sander's band...wow

Listmaker said...

yeah, i knew galinsky was in sleepyhead. didn't he also do some coffee table indie rock book or something too?

was hawley in a band too?