Monday, January 08, 2007

Dave Chappelle's Block Party

Our generation's Wattstax. This is a great movie. This will be watched and savored twenty years from now. This movie makes Clinton Hill (my soon to be neighborhood!)/ Bed-Stuy look like heaven on earth. I love the stand up bits. I love the practice sessions. I love the crazy old white couple in that big house. I love the marching band. I love the two enthusiastic fans from Ohio. I love Erykah Badu's wig. I love Kanye West's songs.

My only complaint is that I'm just not that into hip-hop and wish that there had been subtitles telling who was performing. The DVD version had longer versions of some of the songs than the original theatrical release. As a complete novice of hip-hop, I probably would have preferred the theatrical release more considering that the only times I was ever somewhat not into the movie was during some of the performances.

Director: Michel Gondry
2006
DVD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dug it.