Wednesday, January 17, 2007

C.S.A. The Confederate States of America

This played for a long time this summer at The IFC Center. There were a lot of suckers who paid 11 bucks to see this. I had a hard time sitting through it on DVD and even had to get up to do other things while it was on.

Presented as a BBC documentary on the C.S.A., the movie describes what the world would have been like if the Confederacy had won the Civil War. Some of the commercials and news breaks about runaway slaves are somewhat okay. The film strives for a Zelig like feel to it. The problem is that it just isn't that good. About a fourth as clever as it thinks it is, it really drags for 90 minutes.

I would rather watch that hilarious Mr. Show sketch where Mississippi sends its black citizens out of the state on buses 50 times in a row than watch even part of this again.

Directed by Kevin Willmott
2006
DVD

7 comments:

Chris Larry said...

Thanks...I will stay away...

mas said...

I didn't want to say anything the other day when you said you were going to watch it, but I hated this one too.

Listmaker said...

chris,

we don't always see eye to eye. maybe you'll like it since you are such a lover and i'm such a hater.

Chris Larry said...

well that is true....

Anonymous said...

It's on my netflix list.
I'll probably put it on during a sofabound parenting session.
Good warning though.

weasel said...

It is also in my netflix queue. I recently got burned by A Day Without a Mexican; is it better or worse than that pile of turd?

Listmaker said...

i didn't even know what a day w/o a mexican was until i looked it up. so i have no idea which is better. i thought you were making it up.