Thursday, December 07, 2006

Volver

I haven't seen all of Almodóvar's films but I have seen the last four. And this ain't as good as the previous three. It has been a long time since I've seen All About My Mother but I remember really liking it. I loved Talk to Her. Bad Education wasn't as good as the other two but I was pretty captivated while watching it. I also thought that it looked great. In fact, all three of those films look really really good. This one (other than Penelope Cruz) seemed kind of flat - both the cinematography and the script itself.

Yeah, it has an interesting twist and all but I was somewhat bored at times during the film. That is rare to happen to me in the Almodóvar films I have seen.

Chris Larry wrote, "Never was Penelope Cruz fan until that movie...goddamn she is hot in that...like sophia loren

PA's movies are amazing...but I had some issues with this one. It was great to watch no doubt, but the sweet/kinky/sick thing is getting played out and is there EVER a sympathetic male character in his movies?"

I agree completely about Cruz. She was smokin' in this film. Even Jamie might like her and he HATES her. After seeing the movie, Jim said that they should have just called the movie Penelope Cruz's Breasts. And how.

I don't really care that much about the whole non-sympathetic male character aspect that much but I just didn't care all that much about most of the characters.

That being said, the movie is good enough. I'll continue to go see every new Almodóvar film that comes out. But for me, this one doesn't live up to his last few.

Director: Pedro Almodóvar
2006
BAM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not offended by the non sympathetic male thing, I just am like....dude get a new plot device!

My favorite storyline was the restuarant and I so wanted a sex scene between Cruz and the movie dude. I actually thought this movie was one of the funnier PA movies, and I think I liked it a hair better than Bad Education...but I basically concur with your review....a lame plot doomed this...

weasel said...

Carmen Maura is the only Almodovar girl...