Thursday, December 14, 2006

One Fine Day

Alright, listen. My cable has been out for a week. We didn't have a Netflix DVD available the other night. Beth is staying at our place. I was outnumbered!!!

Actually, I did want to see this if only because Beth, Carrie, and SHR have been talking about it forever. So the other night, I finally relented and watched it.

And it wasn't half bad. I mean, it wasn't that good or anything but it wasn't half bad.

Pluses:
- Clooney. What a charming motherfucker.

- The girl who played his daughter. I'm sick of obnoxious kid actors but she was great. The boy who played Michelle Pfeiffer's kid wasn't bad either.

- It was structured like the classic romantic comedies of yesteryear like The Shop Around the Corner. No sex or nothing. Just watching the wheels in motion of seeing how the pair will get together.

- There were some truly intentionally silly moments that added to the charm. That whole press conference scene with the mayor was hilarious.

- Clooney. What a charming motherfucker.

Minuses:
- Pfeiffer. Man, her character was boring.

- Natalie Merchant singing "One Fine Day" being on the soundtrack not once, but twice.

- This movie hates women. Nevermind the fact that Pfeiffer's character is uptight and pretty boring. But what was that scene where she has to go change and put on makeup before making out with Clooney at the end? Ridiculous. Her whole life seems incomplete without a man. Whereas Clooney's character is all sunshine and lollipops and relaxed late mornings without a woman. Granted, he seems like he should be spending more time with his kid but he seems so much more interesting than her. Is this just because Clooney is such a charming motherfucker (see above) and Pfeiffer is boring? Or is it the script? Or is it just me?

It was pretty funny watching it with SHR and Beth. They were like Trekkies watching The Trouble with Tribbles. They couldn't contain themselves from calling out lines before they occurred and giggling with glee throughout. It was quite a sight to behold. And don't let SHR convince you otherwise, but she does quite a Natalie Merchant vocal impersonation when the mood strikes.

And if I have to hear one more lament about how sad it is that Clooney doesn't do romantic comedies anymore, I'm going to get quite angry. And then go watch Three Kings.

Director: Michael Hoffman
1996
DVD

6 comments:

youthlarge said...

ONE FINE DAY 4-EVA! we'll never get a movie like this from clooney ever again.

China-Latina Chowhound said...

SHR also does an amazing impersonation of Natalie Merchant dancing!

surewhynot said...

Truly can't believe I missed the viewing. So. Jealous.

Debbie said...

I wasnt too crazy about this movie

Chris Larry said...

That movie sucked. Not even fun in a "bad" way. I hate watching bad movies and thinking their kitchy fun, I dont have time for that.

Anonymous said...

There is no excuse for Natalie Merchant doing anything in the public eye (or ear).

Sure, back in the day, the Manaics were useful for making the kind of girls I liked in high school like me, but since then, I can't think of a single good reason she's still breathing.