Thursday, November 30, 2006

We Jam Econo: The Story of the Minutemen

I'll never forget the first time I heard the Minutemen. I was hanging out with the uber cool Cass Snider. I must have been 19 or so. He told me about this band that I had to hear. We were over at one of his friend's apartments. He put the first side of Double Nickels on the Dime on and I couldn't believe my ears. I had never heard anything quite like it. What the fuck was it? It wasn't really punk or was it? The political poetry of D. Boon was obvious. The brilliant drumming kicked me in the butt with asymmetrical rhythm. I couldn't believe how great it was. I still don't think any band has even come close to the sound of this band.

This documentary is really good. It mixes footage of three shows with old interviews and plenty of new ones. 21 years after the death of D. Boon in a van accident still is such a tragedy and clearly still effects those who knew him. Like any band documentary, this would be a waste of time if you didn't like the Minutemen. But for those who dig the band, this is a must watch. Punk is how you define it, it is whatever you say it is they cried out for all to hear. I had read about what the band was like live but I had never seen it for myself. And it was a sight to behold. The scenes of the large D. Boon jumping all over the place, the surfer dude on drums, and the everyman Mike Watt, holy shit, what a band.

The video for "This Ain't No Picnic."


Director: Tim Irwin
2005
DVD

4 comments:

youthlarge said...

D. Boon was a great dancer.

Also it's amazing to see how over 20 years later, Mike Watt is essentially the same ol' Watt from Pedro.

crispin said...

That picture you posted makes Mike Watt look like he's a character in a Dan Clowes book.

Chris Larry said...

Great extras too on the DVD as well.......I love rock docs...Just watched Daniel Johnson one and enjoyed it...I also have the new Galaxie 500 collection DVD...not Doc but lots of great material...

Anonymous said...

Dan! You're never going to believe who this is. I just googled my brother's name and here I landed... in your listmaker blog world ;) I don't know if you'll even get to see this comment but if you do... send me an email dammit! sfinsomnia@yahoo