Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Odd Couple

I never really watched the television series - it was on before my time and I didn't watch the reruns. So I didn't have too many preconceived notions about the film version other than I love both Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. Both are, of course, amazing. I dug Neil Simon a lot when I was 12 or so. At 33, I can take him or leave him. In this case, I'll gladly take him. How can you not like a movie with so much going for it?

The beginning was a little bit slow going but once Lemmon moves in full time, the famous music starts being played regularly, and Matthau starts trying to woo the British twin sisters in the building, I was more than sold. The film is also an interesting time capsule of a vanished or perhaps never really existent New York City.

Director: Gene Saks
1968
TCM

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loooove this movie I have seen it over a dozen times. One of my favortie parts is when Oscar madison yells and Felix about a note he left in the apartment. "It took me ---hours to figure out F.U. meant Felix Unger!!"

Listmaker said...

yeah that line is hilarious. the delivery was even better. what a fun movie.

Chris Larry said...

Niel Simon rocks always, you need to stop hating!

I played Murray the Cop in a H.S. production of the Odd Couple...

Listmaker said...

yeah, you might be right. because now th at i think about it, i can't think of a neil simon thing i don't like. i take it back.

Anonymous said...

Biloxi Blues Baby!

lachimafilms.com said...

the pidgeon sisters - i remember thinking dirty thoughts about them... there's definitely a sass to the movie version.

a.