Friday, July 21, 2006

My Neighbor Totoro


I'm not quite sure what to say about this movie other than wow. I can't stop thinking about it. While not as intricate as Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, it definitely rivals those two for its crazy fun. I was a little disappointed with the last Hayao Miyazaki film I saw, Princess Mononoke, but this one blew me away. I'm dying to see all of his movies now and am wondering why I've only seen four of them so far.

The cute creatures, the adorable kids, the strange looking old women, the clueless adults ... the whole Miyazaki template is here. The plot centers on a dad and his two daughters (the mom is sick in the hospital) who move to a house in the woods popluated by magical creatures called Totoros. Of course, right?

I can not wait to go to the Ghibli Museum when I'm in Japan - an offshoot musem of Miyazaki's Ghibli Studio.

TCM
1988

2 comments:

marc b. said...

Make sure Proco Rosso is on your list. I've not seen anything after Princess Mononoke, but after Totoro, this is my favorite.

Listmaker said...

waiting for me on the dvr! woo hoo for youthlarge!