Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Nomi Song


I had never even heard of Klaus Nomi until this movie had come out. Then I started seeing some of his videos on New York Noise and I was hooked. What a unique voice and vibe this guy had. He was a German musician/artist in the late 70's/ early 80's who helped create his own crazy ass scene in New York. This is a documentary about his rise, his attempt at the big time, his popularity overseas, and his eventual death of AIDS in the early 80's.

The film is perfect for a DVR type setting. Youthlarge and I must have watched this in at least six different increments. I'm not sure how much I could have fully paid attention to it in one viewing. But I would recommend seeing this for some completely arresting footage.

At least, give this video a shot. Why this song wasn't a smash in a world that bred some weird early 80's type stuff is beyond me. If a song like "She Blinded Me With Science" or a singer like Boy George could capture the imagination of middle America, there's no reason why Klaus Nomi couldn't have done the same. Do yourself a favor, watch the video.

Sundance Channel
2003, Year of U.S. Release - 2005

2 comments:

MsDee said...

Creepy looking guy
very Marilyn Manson

Danny Baseball said...

you obviously haven't watched the video because he is no marilyn manson.